Principal Investigator: Rob Cloutier, Stevens Institute of Technology (email@example.com)
Timeframe: 1st July, 2009 to 1st May, 2013
Category: Systems Engineering and Management Transformation
► Project Description
Objectives: To create an initial prototype to demonstrate a cohesive and easy to use collaborative concept engineering system applicable within the Department of Defense(DoD) acquisition domain.
Approach: This work was performed in two stages:
- The first stage was the development of standalone applications, to validate the conceptual and architectural approach of each interface separately.
- The second was to merge the various standalones into one umbrella executable.
This is a proof-of-concept research task – that implies that the software must perform within a relatively flexible set of criteria; it is not a production system. Of necessity, major error-handling is not a factor in our evaluation of preparedness, but reasonable error-handling and performance issues are addressed.
This research pursued the a proof of concept prototype dubbed the “CONOPS Navigator”. This prototype provides a 3D virtual guide intended to assist one assigned to CONOPS development, through the setup of individual analysis tools. Further exploration would be toward an integrated set of data modeling tools, able to seamlessly transfer data from one application to another via the CONOPS Navigator main lobby. This task focused solely on the initial stages of data exchange and manipulations between various standalone applications, including Excel, @Risk, and MATLAB. OneSAF was evaluated but not implemented in this task.
- Technical Report SERC-2009-TR-003-1, October 30, 2009
- Technical Report SERC-2010-TR-007-1, May 31, 2010
- Technical Report SERC-2012-TR-030-1, March 23, 2012
- Technical Report SERC‐2013‐TR‐030‐2, August 30, 2013
- Technical Report SERC-2012-TR-031-1, March 23, 2012
- Technical Report SERC-2013-TR-031-2, July 17, 2013
- Korfiatis, P., Cloutier, R., Zigh, T. “Graphical CONOPS Development to Enhance Model Based Systems Engineering”, Proceedings from 3rd International Engineering Systems Symposium on Council of Engineering Systems Universities, June 18-20, 2012.
- Korfiatis, P., Zigh, T., Blackburn, M. “Graphical CONOPS Development to Enhance Model Based Systems Engineering”, Proceedings from 2012 Industrial and Systems Engineering Research Conference part of the IIE Annual IE Conference and Expo on Industrial and Systems Engineering Research Conference, May 19-23, 2012.
► Research Team
- Dr. Robert Cloutier, Stevens Institute of Technology T
- Dr. Drew Hamilton, Auburn University
- Mr. Jim O’Brian, Auburn University
- Mr. Patrick Pape, Auburn University
- Ms. Sarah Weeks, Auburn University
- Dr. Teresa Zigh, Stevens Institute of Technology
- Dr. Peter Korfiatis, Stevens Institute of Technology
- Mr. Behnam Esfahbod, Stevens Institute of Technology
- Mr. Peizhu Zhang, Stevens Institute of Technology
- Dr. Sara McComb, Purdue University
- Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh, Purdue University
- Mr. Keith Hall, Purdue University
- Mr. John Santanello, Purdue University
- Dr. Ali Mostashari, Stevens Institute of Technology
- Dr. Jon Wade, Stevens Institute of Technology
- Ms.Anne Carrigy, Stevens Institute of Technology
- Dr. Deanna Kennedy, Texas A&M University