Principal Investigator: Dr. Jo Ann Lane, University of Southern California (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Timeframe: June 2009 to September 2010
Category: Systems Engineering and Systems Management Transformation
Objectives: To identify next-generation Department of Defense (DoD) life cycle System Engineering (SE) process needs and associated infrastructure support that will enable future DoD systems to be more cost-effectively developed and more rapidly adapted to changing mission needs. It has three primary sub-objectives:
1. Life Cycle Needs Identification: Identify next-generation processes and associated process infrastructure needs for coping with evolutionary acquisition, net-centric systems of systems, emergent requirements, rapid change, network services, and legacy-constrained Brownfield development
2. Life Cycle Process Infrastructure: Research and develop next-generation process frameworks and infrastructure that better enable DoD acquisitions to cope with future systems acquisition and mission execution challenges
3. Systems of Systems Processes: Research the principles, processes, and mechanisms (e.g. incentive structures) for managing the acquisition and development of various classes of systems of systems.
Approach: Research process implications of DoD trends: evolutionary acquisition, net-centric systems of systems, emergent requirements, rapid change, network services, and legacy-constrained brown field development
- Draft report titled “Systems Engineering and Management Implications of Evolutionary Acquisition” and coordinate to elicit sponsor and community feedback; revise and update
- Draft infrastructure for most critical SE and management needs identified in Implications document (e.g. systems of systems, milestone review content and criteria, evidence-based systems engineering and management)
- Coordinate with related initiatives
- Hold initial tutorials on infrastructure and its usage
- Boehm, B., Lane, J. “Evidence-based Software Processes”, Proceedings of the 4th Annual International Conference on Illinois Cyber Security Scholars Program, July 8, 2010.
- Boehm, B., Lane, J., Bolas, M., Madni, A., Turner, R. “Critical Success Factors for Rapid, Innovative Solutions”, Proceedings of the 4th Annual International Conference on Software Process, July 8, 2010.
- Sabados, D., Componation, P., O’Brien, S., Shull, F., Turner, R., Colbert, E. “A survey of Agile Methods, Procceses and Tools”, Proceedings from 66th Annual Forum on American Helicopter Society, May 1, 2010.
► Research Team
- Dr. Jo Ann Lane, University of Southern California