Senior Lecturer, Engineering Systems; Principal Research Scientist, SEAri and SSRC; Director, Systems Engineering Advancement Research Initiative
Research Role: Senior Researcher
Email Address: email@example.com
Dr. Donna H. Rhodes is a senior lecturer in the Engineering Systems Division, and principal research scientist in the Sociotechnical Systems Research Center (SSRC). She is the director of MIT’s Systems Engineering Advancement Initiative (SEAri), a research group focused on advancing the theories, methods, and effective practice of systems engineering applied to complex sociotechnical systems. Prior to joining MIT in 2003, Dr. Rhodes held senior management positions in systems engineering and enterprise practices at IBM Federal Systems, Lockheed Martin, and Lucent Technologies.
Dr. Rhodes conducts research on innovative approaches and methods for architecting and design of complex systems and enterprises, including predictive indicators of performance, empirical studies of engineering systems thinking and practice, and designing for uncertain futures. Her research is driven by the desire to more predicatively architect socio-technical systems to address significant societal needs in a dynamic world. She is involved in research across multiple sectors including defense, aerospace, transportation, energy and commercial products.
Dr. Rhodes received her Ph.D. in Systems Science from the T.J. Watson School of Engineering at Binghamton University. She serves on industry and government advisory boards focused on advancement of systems practice and education, as well as on study panels for issues of national and international importance. She engages with government and industry leaders through collaborative research, consulting engagements and executive courses. She has been very involved in the evolution of the systems engineering field, including development of several university graduate programs. Dr. Rhodes is a past president and fellow of the International Council on Systems Engineering, and a recipient of INCOSE’s Founders Award and several distinguished service awards. She serves on the INCOSE Systems Engineering journal editorial board.
- Technical Report: Tradespace and Affordability - Phase 1
- Technical Report: Engineered Resilient Systems – Systems Engineering: Knowledge Capture and Transfer
- Pathfinder Workshop Report: Interactive Model-Centric Systems Engineering (IMSCE)
- Technical Report: Tradespace and Affordability - Phase 2
- Technical Report: Tradespace and Affordability - Phase 3
- Technical Report: System Qualities Ontology, Tradespace and Affordability (SQOTA) Project – Phase 4
- Technical Report: Interactive Model-Centric Systems Engineering (IMCSE) Phase 3
- Technical Report: Interactive Model-Centric Systems Engineering (IMCSE) Phase 2 Technical Report
- Technical Report: Interactive Model-Centric Systems Engineering (IMCSE) Phase 4
- Technical Report: System Qualities Ontology, Tradespace and Affordability (SQOTA) Project – Phase 5
- SERC Talk: “Why is Human-Model Interactivity Important to the Future of Model-Centric Systems Engineering?”
- Poster: SSRR 2017: RT 177: Interactive Model-Centric Systems Engineering
- Research Transition Report 2017
- Poster: SEMT 2016: Interactive Model-Centric Systems Engineering
- Poster: SSRR 2015: RT-143: Interactive Model-Centric Systems Engineering
- Technical Report: Interactive Model-Centric Systems Engineering (IMCSE)